03 August 2012

The Setting Summer Sun

I can feel the days growing shorter now, but I still cannot tell if it is because they are truly growing shorter, or if it is because I spent my summer in the states in the wild and rugged mountains of Northern Idaho, where the night was but a few mostly dark hours lacking the shrill surreal sirens of territorial Varied Thrushes hanging in the humid air. My summer was great, but intense. Days of back country working was divided into sections merely by the names of the maps I was using. Forest service section names such as Kaniksu, Clearwater, St. Joe and Coeur d'Alene became more useful for knowing where I was than the actual road and town names, and my spot unit "ok" message was often the only contact I had with the outside world. Once again, I fell behind on my blog from school, work, and everything else. It feels like a never ending cycle of use and neglect, writing about birding and then finding myself overwhelmed by the outside world. I will write as much as I can, but I cannot even attempt to fit the past few months into a post. In what seemed like an instant, I went from enjoying the late autumn nights under the southern cross in Africa to camping alone in the Bitterroot Mountains, watching over my back for the bears and mountain lions that I knew where there.

I put up pictures from my last days in Africa and my days in Idaho at my photo site, and I am sorry I have not been around to share the stories behind them. To those of who still read my blog and hold out for those posts, thank you. I'll write more this fall when I can, but just remember that when I don't write, it's not because I don't want to, but usually because I can't! I'm heading to Louisiana in a week, and looking forward to getting those Carolina Chickadees I've been missing all year.

I'll post when I can, but for now, enjoy the photos (including the Snowshoe Hare near Kooskia, Idaho below!), and I hope the summer has been as busy and productive for all of you as it has been for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment