04 December 2011

The Benefits of Studying

While panicking and putting all my stuff together yesterday and waiting for Emily to come up from New Orleans, I noticed an Eastern Phoebe outside my window. I stared at it momentarily, and realized that if this bird were in the oak outside my window, then a flock would probably not be far behind. Lo and behold, my studying was quickly interrupted by Pine Warblers, Blue-headed Vireo, Downy Woodpeckers and a returnee (at least second-year) wintering Yellow-throated Warbler! The pictures below are from my humble dorm room window.

Yellow-throated Warbler (Setophaga dominica), LSU Campus, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Brown Creeper (Certhia americana), LSU Campus, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Today, as another brief respite from studying, I went out with Kevin Morgan and Carol Foil to check out some hummingbirds not far from LSU. We had a three hummer species day, with Ruby-throated, Black-chinned, and Rufous all putting in appearances. I was good to see hummers at least one more time before venturing to a land that has none. Back to studying for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment