07 May 2010

An American Jungle

The Sunday after we got back from Texas, Michael, his roommate Jesse, and I went out to the Atchafalaya basin. As the steamy summer weather sinks in, birds have started to become as thick as the foliage. Wood Thrush, Hooded Warbler, Kentucky Warbler, Red-eyed Vireo, and Yellow-eyed Vireo were just some of the highlights as we wandered back in the woods. The tall trees with the thick carpet of brush and ferns is the closest thing I have ever seen to the jungle. Birds crawled along the branches singing, and we walked through the shady depths of the woods. One of the highlights of this walk, at least for me, was a lifer I had been hoping for since I came to Louisiana, the elusive Swainson's Warbler. Luckily, we had about five birds singing and we actually got halfway decent looks at one:

Swainson's Warbler, Sherburne WMA, Louisiana

As I write this, I am now entering finals week here at LSU. Summer is almost upon us! Until then, take care and good birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment