23 November 2009

Update

Hi all,

Sorry I have been so terrible about putting up blog posts recently, but I have been extremely busy. I recently had some fairly major lung surgery on my left side to keep it from collapsing any more (three collapses this semester prompted this) and have been trying to catch up in school. Nevertheless, I have seen some good birds since my last post.

Over Halloween weekend, I went to the Louisiana Ornithological Society convention with Kevin Morgan in Cameron Parish. It was a great weekend, with Kevin and I finding/seeing some of the best birds of the weekend. At Peveto Woods, Kevin and I found an odd warbler that turned out to be a female Blackburnian (my first non-male of this species ever) and had a nice flyover by a Barn Owl. At the East Jetty, I spotted a group of three Long-billed Curlews down the beach and we had Semipalmated Sandpipers and Crested Caracaras hanging out around the viewing platform. Later on, we also co-found (along with James Maley and Jacob Saucier) the first ever Great Kiskadee for an LOS convention! Unfortunately, the 'best' bird of the weekend still has not been confirmed - an Alder Flycatcher that I heard and later photographed has still not been able to be confirmed through photos. Unfortunately, my being under the weather has postponed my posting of photos of this bird, but I will try to get on it soon.

The next day (Nov. 1), Kevin and I joined Jeff Harris and another gentleman whose name I forget at Lacassine. Out in a large raft of Lesser Scaup I spotted what I believe to have been a Greater, but the distance (and HUMIDITY!) prevented a positive ID. It was still nice to see all of the marsh birds though, and I got my state Virginia Rail and Sora in the long, unending swamp/prairie.

This past weekend I finally got out for the first time since my surgery. Though I got rained and flooded out, I still managed to get a new state bird - Dark-eyed Junco. A new campus bird was also had this week as I was talking to Andrea Robinsong on my cell phone and had a Great Horned Owl fly by.

Until next time, take care, and good birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment