20 September 2009

Catching up on Common Birds

For the past several weeks, I have had the opportunity to bird with several people throughout Louisiana and catch up on many 'common' birds that I had never seen before. I don't have time to write out a whole post today, but thought I'd leave a brief update of some of the common Eastern birds I have been able to see for the first time. I will write more in a week, as I will be going on a Gulf of Mexico pelagic for Sooty Terns, Wilson's Storm-Petrels and any other birds we may happen acorss in the big blue. Until next time, take care!

New birds this weekend:

Hooded Warbler (Wilsonia citrina) - finally saw and heard this species for the first time in Sherburne. After getting over my initial awe, I found about twenty more in two days. Still a spectacular bird.

Magnolia Warbler (Dendroica magnolia) - a male of this species feeding in some roadside ragweed was a pleasant surprise. This species was hypothetical for me before this weekend, having heard a bird that I thought was this species in Grand Junction, Colorado in September 1998(?).

Yellow-throated Vireo (Vireo flavifrons) - after getting into appropriate habitat today, I got to see two of these spectacular birds. They were previously a heard only bird for me from Virginia and Washington D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment