17 August 2009

LSU

I know I haven't posted in a while, but a lot has been going on. After arriving back from Arizona again (looking for Black Swifts), I had to leave for College. And I have to say, college is AWESOME! I am about to start classes here at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, and am still getting used to everything that is new here. As I write this, I have an entire change of clothes spread out drying behind me because my western Colorado mind though "Those clouds look like rain. How bad can it be?" Within minutes, water two inches deep was pouring off of all the buildings and across all the sidewalks. Next time, I'll take a coat. Also, the birds here are awesome. I'm so used to seeing House Sparrows, House Finches, American Crows and European Starlings out west, so seeing Carolina Chickadees in front of my dorm room window while listening to the whistles of Tufted Titmice will take a little getting used to. One of my favorite parts of the day was when I was on my way to meet James Van Remsen and two Fish Crows flew in. Their comedic calls were quickly joined by those of a Downy Woodpecker and a small group of Blue Jays foraging in the Live Oaks here on campus. I never thought I would have all these as yard birds. Even the sight of Northern Cardinals in the bushes by the college doors makes me pause for a second, even though they are dirt common here.

I will try to post more in the future, and hope to get some awesome pictures of Louisiana birds here in the coming months. Until next time, take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment